DoggieNationDoggieNation

Officially Licensed Sports Jerseys & Apparel for Dogs

Retail Customers - Free Shipping in the U.S. on Orders Over $75

Winter Holiday Hazards For Pets

by Coach Lilly

DoggieNation wants to share some important tips for keeping your pets safe during the holiday season.  Many things that we all consume, use or decorate with during these holiday months are not safe for your dogs.  There are certain foods, plants, decorations and other winter hazards dangerous to dogs and we all need a reminder every now and then.

Foods

Do not feed your pet any of the foods listed below. They could cause major health problems for your pet, so be sure to keep all these items out of their reach! 

  • Chocolate (all kinds)
  • Alcoholic beverages and coffee (grounds, beans)
  • Moldy, spoiled or fatty foods
  • Onions, onion powder and yeast dough

Plants

  • If poinsettias are consumed they may cause mild vomiting or nausea.
  • Lilies in flower arrangements can cause kidney failure or death in cats if eaten.
  • Mistletoe ingestion causes gastrointestinal upset and holly ingestion may cause diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and lethargy.

Hazards around your Christmas Tree

  • Christmas tree water may contain fertilizers, which if ingested can cause stomach upset.  Stagnant tree water can be breeding grounds for bacteria, leading to vomiting, nausea and diarrhea.
  • Watch your pet around electric cords and wires.  If they are chewed they could electrocute your dog, so cover up or hide any electric cords.
  • Tinsel or ribbon can get caught up in the intestines and cause intestinal obstruction. This could be deadly!!!!
  • Glass ornaments can cut the tissues of the gastrointestinal tract if ingested.  Very dangerous!! 
  • Potpourri (liquid or dry) is dangerous and poisonous for all pets.

Other Winter Hazards

  • Antifreeze consumption in very small amounts can be lethal.  As little as one teaspoon of antifreeze can be deadly to cats and dogs. Thoroughly clean up any spills and store antifreeze in tightly closed containers and store in secured cabinets that are inaccessible to your pets.  If you think your pet has consumed antifreeze contact your emergency veterinarian office immediately for assistance.
  • Ice melting products can be irritating to skin and mouth.  Signs of ingestion would include excessive drooling, vomiting or even electrolyte imbalances.

ASPCA Poison Control Center

The ASPCA is your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency – 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.  If you think that your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, call (888) 426-4435 or visit them online.  http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/

All of us at DoggieNation wish your famlies and pets a safe and happy holiday season!

Sincerely,
Jordana and The DoggieNation Team  (and Lilly & Sophia!)

 

Comments:

No Comments Yet, Be the First to Leave Feedback!
Post a comment:

Back to Top